Is this the year Pentax makes or breaks your FF dream?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,286
Like?
Re: Mirrorless is Future?
In reply to Dale108, 5 months ago

Dale108 wrote:

While I have been am SLR/DSLR user for 30 years, it is obvious that mirrorless is the wave of the future. Look at what Olympus, Fuji and Sony are putting out and how AFC is catching up to SLR. While I wouldn't have said this 1 year ago, that appears to be the market direction. I know people will point to sales not supporting that trend anywhere except Asia, but as soon as people accept the smaller size, it will catch on here also.

If Pentax goes FF, a mirrorless may be the best route for market diversification. Make an adapter so the regular lenses will work and I would be interested.

This may be a dilemma that Pentax is facing. I bought a mirrorless Sony A7r myself, and was with a friend recently who has a Canon 5D with the L-lenses. After only using the Sony for two weeks, I have already drifted from the idea of a FF Dslr for my needs. I use primes and MF and like to be able to take the FF camera along easily and everywhere. The EVF with 100% magnification is a revelation with good MF lenses. If I then see the Canon 5D with the L-lenses on, being used to the Sony, it starts to dawn that I would never buy a similar Pantax Dslr. On the other hand, if you need top AF and shoot fast moving targets, a camera like the Sony A7r is near useless.

What makes it so hard for Pentax, is choosing who and what to aim for with their FF camera. Apsc is easy: it's all about enthousiasts (or used to be anyway when they started it all). MF is easy: it's all about the pro. But FF is inbetween. That's why you have super expensive and large bodies with only moderate resolution, but also high resolution relatively affordable bodies, that are still very large though, and wouldn't exactly thrill the typical all wheather travelling Pentax shooter. Small and mirroless is an alltogether different world that Pentax is not really at home in.

Chris

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow