Sony RX100 III and a Canadian Canoe Trip (Mini Review)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
burnymeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,498Gear list
Like?
Sony RX100 III and a Canadian Canoe Trip (Mini Review)
2 months ago

I love camera gear. I especially seem to love the RX1 and RX100 series cameras from Sony. As a climber, skier, backpacker and outdoor guy, I loved the RX100 I due to it's small size, excellent sensor and great focal length. When the mark II came out, I bought it mostly because of the EVF add-on option and the tilting screen.

Another camera series I've always loved is the m43 gear from Olympus and Panasonic. It's also small and light with excellent lenses. When the GM1 came out last year, I was delighted to start using it instead of the RX100II. Then Sony released the mark III which had the exact changes I'd always wanted, the popup EVF and a 24-70mm lens. I had to buy it...

I recently completed a 6 day back country canoe trip in north-central Ontario, Canada. How back country? Well, we didn't see another human for 6 days. I took my Olympus E-M10 for telephoto shots and specialty shots such as macro or astrophotography and I took my brand new Sony RX100 III for everyday photos and video. Unfortunately I didn't have time to have my lensmate filter adapter shipped so I bought the Sony filter adapter for the RX100 I / II and tried to use it instead. It worked marginally due to some vignetting at wide angle.

Overall impressions:

• Very small - fits in the same case as the GM1 with a bit more room in the case.
  • Great IQ, especially with RAW but also with JPG - much better IMHO at JPG than the RX100 II was.
  • Great and very usable EVF when I remembered I had it as an option...
  • For me it's the perfect zoom lens for landscapes / walk around.
  • Great close focus at 24mm.
  • Great depth of color and DR (RAW).
  • Video is amazing.

Is it "better" than the GM1 with a nice prime such as the PL15 f/1.7? Nope. Is it "worse"? Nope. It's just different. I will be keeping and using both cameras for different purposes. The GM1 will be used when I can bring other lenses along. The RX100 will come along when weight and simplicity is paramount or when I just want a camera along but no hassle (such as going out on the town or dinner).

The RX100III is an amazing camera that takes excellent photos and video but obviously there are many choices out there right now that do the same thing. You have to decide if the small size and limited zoom range combined with a 1" sensor is too limiting for you or not. In my case it can be too limiting for me in certain situations but not others. For example, DOF is great with landscapes so having the ability to shoot at f/2.8 and still have plenty of DOF is great! Specialty shots like macro, astro, portrait etc are not this cameras strength but it will do them in a pinch.

Here's some shots from the trip, many more at verndewit.com .

Thanks for looking and hope my impressions help anyone who's wondering about this camera.

-- hide signature --

Vern Dewit
Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.explor8ion.com
http://verndewit.com/

burnymeister's gear list:burnymeister's gear list
Sony RX1R RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Alpha 7S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow