ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,927Gear list
Like?
D810 NOT a Game Changer
2 months ago

But did anyone expect it to be?

I'll post some shots in a few days (Right now just testing against D800 and Df), but here's what I found.

1) D810 shutter may be the best thing about this camera! Quiet, much like the Df!!!

2) Focus is PERFECT, at least so far. No D800 nonsense with faces in low light and no left AF issue. Definitely snappier. The D810 will lead to more and more people admitting that the D800 AF was not all that wonderful.

3) IQ is really not different enough with RAW to matter in real world shooting. Pixel peepers can say what they want, but I'm calling it now: This is basically the same as a D800 or D800e for 99% of the people out there.

4) The D810 is really about the same for high ISO and shows the same magenta color cast as ISO goes above 3200. So my Df isn't about to be replaced anytime soon.

SUBJECTIVELY: The overall feel of the camera is better due to the change in grip. Less of a big brick and more comfortable.

Overall I'd say this is a neat little upgrade, but hardly one most shooters will actually "need." If you can sell your D800/D800e and are willing to kick in the difference, then this will likely make you smile, especially the shutter and AF. The camera just feels more refined in use.

The D810 is available and not backordered everywhere, so I trust a lot of folks are taking a pass and waiting for a more significant upgrade, like the majority of D4 owners waiting on a D5. Still, the D810 is another sweet Nikon camera!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow