What I'd like to see next from Foveon...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MarkWW
Contributing MemberPosts: 590
Like?
What I'd like to see next from Foveon...
2 months ago

I'd love to see a video camera from Foveon next.

This article strongly implies that they're thinking of using pixel binning for video. I know that the processing power required for a Foveon sensor is quite high, but let's take 1080p (ignoring 4k video for the moment).

That's just 2 megapixels. Binned Quattro style, that's two layers of 0.5 megapixels. Surely in a large enough body with a big enough power supply, you can cram enough microchips in there to get Foveon video.

Why? Because I'd love to see that Oil Painting Look in motion.

Photography is one thing - it's easy to fake all sorts of stuff in post, but to capture something in video? I think that's when people will have a "wow" moment with Foveon, and just as the Foveon camera was a crazy new option for photographers, it can become a crazy new option for videographers as well.

If they have "binning on the fly" as the article implies, they could roll it into a photo camera that has no binning or regular Quattro binning at 19 megapixels, but then gets binned together at 3x3 resolution for HD Video. The long Quattro dimension is 5424. To get 3x3 binning for 1080x1920 the long dimension would need to be 5760 - very close.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow