Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Joe Mayer
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?
In reply to BPina, 5 months ago

BPina wrote:

So, we all know the beauty of this camera, and how it may improve many types of photography. I love to shoot wide and indoors (low light), so i am considering to build cash to buy a shiny new 5D Mark IV when it comes out (have to build cash from now to be able to buy it).

Well, there isn't much point in asking us what is wrong with the 5D3 if you're going to buy the 5D4 now, is there?

The point is... There are many sites and threads on foruns that talk about how capable is this camera. But i couldn't find many with the disadvantages of it.

That's because there aren't any that are significant (for the 5D3).  There are some niggly things depending upon one's needs though.

So, for you, owners, what do you complain about the Canon EOS 5D Mark III? I really want to cover all variables before spending that much money on this camera.

Thanks.

You're not going to buy this camera.  I'm not trying to be combative, but why worry about what's imperfect about it when you're going to wait for the next iteration?  In any case, if you were to buy a 5D3 tomorrow, my opinion of having used a pair since they came out is that, for me, they lack only two things.  First, is the anemic SD slot.  I get it Canon.  If I want two fast CF slots, I need to buy 1 series.  Buy why give me an SD slot if it's going to slow down the CF slot?  So you can speed it up in the mk4 and make me buy another body?  Not a deal breaker but disappointing.  Next is illuminated low-light AF points.  Pretty niggly I know and far outweighed by the pluses but two things that have irritated me but not enough to ditch the camera or be able to use it in spite of them.

Joe Mayer's gear list:Joe Mayer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow