panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Yeyo
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?
In reply to Jim Mohundro, 5 months ago

Full disclosure: I recently acquired a GX7 in a move from my previous GX1 and its predecessor, a GF1, and I have a couple of Panny lenses, the relatively early kit 14-45 OIS zoom (surprisingly, it seems a gem to me; I've used it successfully on two European travels) and a new so-far-so-good 15mm f/1.7 Panasonic Summilux.

I think you'll be weighing the very good three-level IBIS on the E-M10, the lenses for it from both principal makers, its EVF and infrastructure (menu, dials, etc)/ergonomics, vs the GX7's EVF, and the lenses from both principal makers, and its very modest in-ody IBIS, coupled with any IS available and built into Panny zom lenses.

If I were to do it over again and had no lenses in hand, I'd be as likely to pick the Olympus as the GX7, so I'm probably more of a phioopher than a helpful respondent to your question; i.e., both cameras are pats of first-rate systems designed and manufactured by major, generally reliable companies. If budget was no object, and I was starting out unencumbered with gear, I suspect I'd yield my GAS to the Olympus E-M1; however, to date I've been pleased with the ergonomics, ease fo use of the Panny family, and the general IQ of the Panny lenses.

After reading inumerable posts here and elewhere over the last several months, and nothwithstanding the fact that my bst friend is an experienced Olympus user, and was preparing to make my next M43 "upgrade" decision, I'm more and more thinking that the wholly interchangeability of the Panasonic and Olympus lenses with each other's manufacturer's cameras may not be as straightforward as it appears to be, and, if I were making he decision of on system over the other I would more likely be trying to think ahead to which manufacturer's system of lenses is likely to (subjecively) produce the most satisfaction in IQ and usability for me and I would assume that the two lenses systems while technically interchangeable may not work that way in real life and that my camera body decision would now be based on the family of lenses that would best suit my purposes and with which I could most easily live.

If you were a person who enjoys fine wines and the foods to go with them, and I am, my selection method is to pick the wine (lens(es)), first and then decide the food (camera) to go with it(them).

I hope this lengthy, perhaps rambling more than a little birt answer is somwhat helpful and not entirely discouraging.

And by this time, I suspect you've gone on to the next post.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Thanks for the input

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow