NOCT : Coma - Nikon 58mm/1.4 or Sigma 50/1.4?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GlobalGuyUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119Gear list
Like?
NOCT : Coma - Nikon 58mm/1.4 or Sigma 50/1.4?
2 months ago

I continuously hear about sharpness of the Sigma, but I have not read a significant comparison of the COMA difference between these two lenses.  Does anyone know how the Sigma handles COMA vs. the Nikon 58/1.4?

All of the commentary on the 58/1.4 regarding coma that I can find seems to have been released before the Sigma 50/1.4 was announced -- but I think someone might have experience with the difference by now?

The 58/1.4 isn't perfect for coma reduction, and its not perfectly sharp either.

But its coma might be better than the Sigma, which may include a subjective human perspective (shape, etc, not just amount), and that's what I want more or less objective detail about.  Numerical test results are confusing.  Does anyone have experience with the comparison of coma?

Thanks for your thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
GlobalGuy

GlobalGuyUSA's gear list:GlobalGuyUSA's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow