Should I sell my Nikon J1 for a new lens or the a7?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
Should I sell my Nikon J1 for a new lens or the a7?
3 months ago

I've got three cameras right now, and I'm thinking I might want to trade the J1+three lenses.  I've got the Nex 7, and I could either get a lens or 2 or the A7 plus kit lens.  I just like the picture from the nex 7 a lot better.  Especially with the 50mm lens.  I think the colors and quality I get from this lens is far better than the kit or zoom.

Or I could get the A7 and one lens.  I have the 10-18, so I could use it between the two cameras.  It's 15% off at BH right now, and that seems ok.  That plus my trade in would put it below $950.  IT seems hard to pass up for that price.

The only thing I really need the J1 for is action shots, or when I'm moving on a boat.  The auto focus is really a lot better and I'm able to get a crisp shot.  But....that shot doesn't pixel peep or crop as well, and the colors and bokeh are worse.  So I may just be better off taking my time with composition.

I actually haven't tried the Nex 7 from the boat for fear or water splashing up.  Does anyone know of any other cameras that work well while moving fast over the water in the sony ecosystem and a decent way to protect them?

But at the end of the day the pictures I like the most of mine are the ones with really vibrant colors, and the J1 isn't giving me those.  Really the only two lenses that do are the 10-18 and the 50.  So I need more options.

I had my photo taken on my boat by a pro yesterday and he sent it to me and it was just phenomenal.  It was a canon full frame with a 200-400 lens.  Just beautiful SOOC.  I get those sometimes, but like I said, only with those two lenses.

What do I need?

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow