DXO Optics Pro and E-M1

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
mrollins
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Re: DXO Optics Pro and E-M1
In reply to markymark101, 2 months ago

markymark101 wrote:

I probably would have never tried DxO if it had not been for Adobe's new pricing strategy. My attitude has become screw-em there are other options out there. It's nice to have options isn't it! A little competition keeps everyone on their toes.

As a related question, I wonder how many people are rethinking their workflow strategy due to Adobe's new pricing strategy. I am a long time user of Photoshop and Lightroom. I really like these tools, but Adobe has gotten so big, they are difficult to deal with.  My consulting business requires a subscription to the Adobe CC to gain access to many of it's publishing and illustration tools. Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, and other tools come as a side benefit, but I can envision a time when I probably won't need a full CC subscription at $50+/month. Will I then want or be able to afford to pay Adobe's rental fees, even if it's just for Photoshop and Lightroom?

I currently keep a backup copy of all my RAW files, but use DNG format for the files in the Lightroom database. Even with it's new Lightroom plug-in, DxO does not read DNG files. Of course it wants the original RAW file so it understands what settings to apply. This makes me think I might have better long term flexibility if I used my RAW files for the Lightroom database as well. I just recently picked up a copy of DxO to try it out and start reconsidering my longer term options. I do like what I see so far with DxO. Its tools are pretty intuitive; and if you are familiar with similar tools in Lightroom or Photoshop, they are not much trouble to use.

I'm also starting to consider how I should keep the files that I have altered for printing or Web use. In the past, I didn't give it much consideration, and generally just kept files worked on in Photoshop, particularly layered files, in PDS format. Now I'm thinking that perhaps I should be saving these files as layered TIFFs.

There are probably other things I should be considering. I am curious as to what other photographers might be doing to preserve their files for future use, perhaps without the use of Adobe products.

Regards,
Mike

mrollins's gear list:mrollins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow