Would my photo-processing benefit (speed up) with this PC upgrade?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Red Rush
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Would my photo-processing benefit (speed up) with this PC upgrade?
2 months ago

Hi - I have been wondering about buying a new computer, as my current machine (a HP) is beginning to feel rather slow in processing photos. The photos I am processing are usually NEF (RAW) files from a 16MP Nikon D7000 or DNG (converted from SRW) files from a 12MP Samsung EX2F.

My current machine is using an Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz; with 4GB of RAM. It is using an NVIDIA GeForce GT120 graphics card. I have a 2TB HDD which hosts the OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit), applications and data.

The machine I am interested in is a Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4790; with 16GB of RAM (DDR3 1600MHz). The graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5. I plan to use the included 2TB HDD as a secondary drive for data and will buy a 120GB SSD to use for the OS (Windows 8.1) and other applications.

I am currently using ACDSee Pro 5 for my photo editing. I will probably upgrade to version 7 after I get my new machine. I don't plan to switch to another photo editor - as I like the simplicity of ACDSee and it is "enough" for 99% of my editing needs.

So - will the new computer set-up give me significant improvement over my current one for editing photos (my main application for a PC)? Currently, some edits on a RAW file takes about 5-10 seconds for each edit in each photo, and it is obviously incredibly frustrating when processing through a large batch of photos from a shooting session (I am just a hobbyist/ enthusiast). In case the new set-up won't result in "blazingly fast" (here's hoping...) photo editing performance, I think I might rather use the budget for the PC to buy some new camera gear...

Anyway - hope some of you kind souls out there can shed some light on my question. Thanks in advance - have a great day!

ACDSee Pro 5 Nikon D7000 Samsung EX2F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow