Is this the year Pentax makes or breaks your FF dream?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,598Gear list
Like?
Re: Charity, the essence of marketing
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 3 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Only I can write now is that you will be pleasantly surprised because Pentax FF will be unlike any other FF on the market, as stated by Mr Kawauchi of Ricoh Imaging in his 2013 interview.

This "unlike any other FF on the market" is an interpretation based on a translation from a foreign language. It's not easy to keep the meaning intact, when going from Japanese to English.

Don't put too much weight on it. It will most likely be a typical Pentax product, and that would be great news for me.

Alex

One more reason for it is that Ricoh Imaging and Pentax in particular did not want to go into that market segment for obvious reasons. But the user's demand for an FF camera, despite their wishes, was as such that the project was supported.

Can we say the FF from Pentax will come as an act of good will, charity and desire to please loyal customers, and not to compete directly in the market with others. The motives for it are different, and therefore it is reasonable to expect a very unique camera. I think that is important to understand.

Hmm... nope. Neither Ricoh Imaging nor anybody else is in this business for charity.

Alex

I think it's a language barrier.

Could be. I'm Romanian, you're from Italy (though, strangely, Uluru is from Australia) - we're both supposedly communicating using a foreign language.

Charity means benevolent feeling, especially toward those in need or in disfavour. That is the essence of marketing — recognising market's (or one of its segment's) needs and acting in such way to fulfil such needs.

I'm not sure people willing to pay for a FF would be subjects for charity. Poor people, having the money to spend on expensive cameras and lenses!

By the way, I was interpreting it as "voluntary giving of help to those in need". Or, in a non-strict sense, as "voluntary giving".

A FF product line is too expensive to be simply a charity act for the poor us. Mid-term profit, prestige, having a flagship product to raise confidence and sales of lower class products, marketing... they will have such targets.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow