Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drg57
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Canon 60D af focus point - automatic selection
5 months ago

I just bought a second hand 60D and I'm not sure if there is an issue with the AF or not. I'm coming from and 1100D which focused very well with auto focus and I'm finding the 60D doesn't and when the AF focus point is set to automatic selection, when I'm indoors in low light, the focus keeps hunting and sometimes doesn't focus at all.

Firstly I do usually pick a focus point and it focuses well, though I do believe its taking slightly longer than my 1100D. Secondly I have tried multiple lenses including one with USM and the same happens with all lenses so I'm sure it's the body.

I can get by without using automatic, but my wife needs full auto just to use with the kids and at times it's unusable for her. I have read a few other threads and some point out that the AF on the 60D as not the best so I'm not sure if what I'm experience is just the 60D or if it's a camera issue. In comparison with my 1100D I'd have to say it's the camera because we're using the camera in the exact same situations and having problems with it.

Outdoors and selecting a manual focus point though the camera performs well as expected. But using automatic selection no matter shooting in Av, Tv, M or Auto the camera struggles to focus in low light. If I shoot in Av though, and enable the flash, the AF assist seems to help the situation. In auto with the flash up, AF assist seems to help as well but still at times it fails.

Firmware is the latest.

So I'm wondering if anyone with a 60D can confirm if in the following scenario the same occurs for them as well. Shooting in Auto No flash (so AF assist doesn't turn on). Indoors point at the floor under a desk so there's still some light but it's considerably low, does the AF keep hunting and not focus? Mine does focus at times but probably 2 or 3 times out 10 it will keep hunting and not focus.

If this is expected behaviour then I'd be happy to know.

I have taken the camera to a repairer and he believes it's a fault with the camera as well. He also believes the camera is noisy when it focuses. But he hasn't had a 60D before so couldn't 100% confirm if the camera is a dud or not. Can anyone confirm if this camera is a little noisy when focusing. To me it seems ok though, but again compared to my 1100d is does seem slightly noisier.

Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow