Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelVadon
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?
FStoppers Review on the Sigma 24-105 F4 Art
10 months ago

I cant lug my entire kit around all the time. There are times when I can only choose one lens and the Sigma 24-105 F4 Art fills that niche perfectly. Before the Sigma 24-105 came out, I polled my buddies to include one Canon "Explorer of the Light" to see which lens they used the most. They all said the Canon 24-105 was their "go to" lens. It wasnt the best, but worked for all situations. At the various weddings I have attended in the past, I've seen quite a few wedding photographers using the Canon 24-105. Having that extra zoom really does matter. All of the wedding photographers seemed to use multiple off-camera flashes so they didnt need anything faster then F4.0. The Canon 24-105 worked for most situations and produced "good enough" photos for their purposes.

When shooting models on a red carpet, I noticed a big difference in using the Canon 24-105 vs the Canon 70-200 2.8 II. The pictures just looked sharper and better to my eye with the 70-200 2.8 II. The Canon 24-105 was "good" but I just couldnt get over how much better the shots looked with the 70-200. As soon as I noticed the difference I started shying away and eventually sold my Canon 24-105. I just couldnt use it knowing that I could take better shots with other lenses. However, once it was gone, I realized that I really missed the 24-105 focal length. Its truly a jack of all trades and simply "works". It goes from being a landscape lens to a portrait lens "working" like a charm although not being the best at anything.

Now the Sigma 24-105 F4 Art came out and seems to crank up the sharpness a few notches along with being a bit better at low light. Now I can return to using a 24-105 F4 lens without thinking there will be a very noticeable degradation in quality.

FStoppers sums it up exactly in their review:

http://fstoppers.com/studio/fs-review-sigma-hits-success-again-24-105mm-f4-os-hsm-lens-8219

If you look at that image above at 100% (which does require clicking), you don’t even have to squint. The difference is obvious. The leaves are more distinct, the edges are far less muddy and even the colors seem brighter. Though it’s not drop-dead amazing by any means on Sigma’s part, they make vast improvements over the previous standard. This is to be commended: we went from almost unusable, to a few levels beyond acceptable.

So the Sigma 24-105 will not replace my 70-200. It wont replace my 24mm prime for landscape shots or a 85mm or 105mm prime for portraits. However, the overall quality and sharpness has been taken up 3-4 notches over the Canon 24-105 offering. When I really need to move quickly and cant take every lens in my kit, then the Sigma 24-105 F4 does very nicely giving me slightly better low light capability and better quality overall.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow