Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wt66
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
My first shots with new Minolta 300 2.8 and A77II
3 months ago

Hey everyone, as you are all probably aware, I've been asking question after question (after question!) about the prime minoltas (mainly the 300 2.8 and 400 4.5) vs the Sony 70-400GII, which I own. I originally had the Sony A99 (still have it, love it) but got an A77II for added reach with the crop factor. I then decided to pick between the Tamron 150-600 or a prime + TC combo.

I picked up a 300 2.8 High Speed APO G Minolta from Adorama, thinking I'll try it with the bare lens, the 1.4x and 2.0x sony TCs. So here we are. Please note these have all been giving my typical post processing in LR.

Bare 300 at 2.8 (keep in mind, its overcast today, not sunny)

Another one, full size

the two photos below are using the 2.0X TC (and as before, bad light so higher than preferred iso)

This is pretty much at 100%

Here is a shot of a red tailed hawk in flight (!) at 600mm using the 2.0x teleconverter.

It certainly focuses slower with the TC than without, but using in camera focus limiter, I don't think it's really any slower than the 70-400G2. In the In flight photo at 100%, I can see the pupil, and as far as I've noticed, I've never been able to see it using the 70-400G2. Maybe, but i didn't notice because i wasn't looking, but after all the things said about the AF being terrible with a 2X TC, I was pleasantly surprised at the AF performance and sharpness. The only downfall is the CA with the 2X and a bird against white sky, but this is fixable in LR.

Overall, I am pretty happy so far. The bare 300mm 2.8 focuses pretty much as fast as the 70-400G2 and isn't even very loud compared to my expectations. Sharpness seems great, and I haven't done an AF Microadjustment yet. Even with the TCs, especially the 2X, performance is better than I expected.

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow