Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,402Gear list
Like?
One lens for the county fair
2 months ago

The year turns, as it always seems to do, and the county fair starts on Friday.  I distinctly remember going last year with my old Canon point and shoot and thinking "Next year.  Next year I'm going to have a real camera."  And so I do.  And I have some lenses too.  And I can't decide which one to take.  This trip will be during the day, so shooting the lights on the midway and the creepy depths of the carnival games won't be an issue.  (Those are jobs for the FA 50mm, warts and all.)

My first thought was the 18-55 WR kit zoom-- a range of FLs and weather sealed to keep out dust and grit.  But it's slow, and may not be great for goat portraits in the low light of the barns.  I could take my 21mm Limited (which is just a sweet lens!) and play street photographer, or I could take the 35mm macro and shoot like I had a film SLR with a 50mm kit lens, or I could take the FA 50 anyway ...  Any advice or opinions?  I really want to put one lens on and keep it there rather than change around.

If it sounds like I'm wishing that the old yardcoyote brain had made a faster decision on that DA*55mm, you'd be right--I'd be going in weather sealed at my exact favorite field of view.  Maybe next year?

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow