Suggestion on lens to use/acquire for air show.

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fotohouse
Regular MemberPosts: 315Gear list
Like?
Suggestion on lens to use/acquire for air show.
2 months ago

I am going to the OshKosh air show at the end of the month and would like some input on my current lens lineup and/or a future lens purchase.

My current setup:

Cameras:

Sony A77, A700

Lenses (at least the ones I plan to take):

Minolta 80-200 2.8 G, 28-70 2.8 G

Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD

1.4x TC, 2x TC.

Possible purchase prior to going:

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO

What I would like input on, from those who have shot air shows, is how well my current setup will perform.  The last airshow I went to I used a Tokina 80-400.  I liked the reach but the IQ was less than acceptable.  I was also using a KM7D, so that may have also played into some of the IQ (as compared to todays sensors).  My Minolta lenses are superb and dialed in with MFA at the end I use them the most at.  The Tamron lens is my wife's and I do not use it much, though it seemed to perform well on my A700 when I did.  I can get to 400 with both the Minolta and a 2x TC (hate doing that due to loss of IQ) or the Tamron with the 1.4 TC.  I still have AF with the Minolta but I believe I may loose it on the Tamron except in bright light.

As I stated above I am also considering the Sigma 150-500, tired of waiting for the Tamron 150-600.  It will AF across the entire focal length but can anyone comment on its IQ compared to my other two options.  Is it worth the hassle and cost of another lens for the IQ diffrence?

Thanks in advance for any input

Fotohouse's gear list:Fotohouse's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony SLT-A99 +8 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow