Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raul Mkryan
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
ND/GND filters (cheap) on 60D and magenta
5 months ago

Hey everyone. I've bought filters (cokin p) for my 60D because I wanted to make long exposures during the day and balance the exposure between sky and the ground, my filters arrived today and I got all excited and went outside to do some test shots and after doing some I found out that the filters are not that "neutral". I did some research and found that this is happening because my filters block visible light but not UV/IR... I've read that more higher end cameras don't have these issues and I'm guessing that's why I've never heard about this problem with ND/GND filters because every reviewer has high end camera... So my question is - how can I overcome this issue? Or is there even a way to "fix" this? I've tried tweaking my raw files in LR, messed with the WB, tried removing magenta and purple but it doesn't help... I know it's because I've stacked 2-3 filters together but I don't see the point in using only one filter that cuts only 4 stops or so.

Here are my test shots, I know I did a "worst case scenario" tests because I'm looking towards the sun thus IR/UV is much stronger but oh well, it's not like it'd have been much better otherwise.

GND2

GND2+4

GND2+4+8

Is there a cheap filter that will cut IR/UV too or did I waste my money on these filters?

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow