What practical value does SUPER high ISO offer?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,688
Like?
What practical value does SUPER high ISO offer?
1 month ago

I read an interesting article, on another site, where they made an attempt to rate the quality of cameras shooting at high ISO. As I expected, most of the mirrorless cameras kind of topped out at around iso 6400, a few of the upper middle DSLRs were rated workable at around 12800 iso, and only the Nikon D4s, and the two iterations of D800 rated as workable at 25,600 iso. Note the article made sure the reader understands that there is a distinction in image quality between the terms "workable" and "good" .

And this brings up my question. What practical value TO YOU, is the ability to reach the really high iso levels?  What I would hope you post, in addition to your explanation, is two photos.  One would be a super high iso photo that you are proud of, and one that, in your eyes, is a bit of a failure.

I would like to find out why you like the first, and not only why you think the second is a bit of a fail, but what you would have done differently if you had the chance for a 'do-over'.

I hope we don't approach this as a chance to argue about cameras or the value of high iso, but as a chance to discuss why super high iso has value to you, what makes a GOOD high iso photo, and maybe discuss generic shooting and processing techniques for this type of photo.

-- hide signature --

I look good fat, I'm gonna look good old. . .
http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GlenNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow