Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,918Gear list
Like?
Sony a7s + 70-200mm f4 G OSS FE First Impression vs Nikon
4 months ago

Just got in the new #Sony #a7s and the new 70-200mm f4 G OSS FE ! Production version.

Having been only shooting FF f2.8 70-200mm VR2 + D800/e all these years. This FE combo seems SUPER SMALL and Light! Relatively speaking.

Have No Clue why anyone would complain about the Full Frame f4 FE size and weight of this Lens. (maybe because I just don't use f4 FF lens)

The pic with the Sony a7s and Nikon D800 side by side is deceiving. as far as the size and weight difference. "to me".

I pushed Hard against the Mount. It is SOLID ! Zero squishy-ness ... Stainless Steel

When I mounted the 35mm f2.8 ZA FE it seemed overly tight. But, the LAEA4 and the 70-200mm f4 G OSS FE is fine.

* There is NO DOUBT the Sony a7s can AF in lower light than "any" Sony I have shot with , And FASTER (in Low Light).

and can AF in lower light vs my Nikon D800/e , in fact in light with low contrast where the D800/e could not get a lock or would struggle the Sony a7s could AF Lock.

Very similar Low Light AF ability to my D700 with a f2.8 PRO Trinity Lens in my opinion. In Fact the Sony a7s might be better even with the f4 lens. and in "low light" was just as fast on a AF lock. imho, on this first impression test.

Did not see any low light AF speed difference between the 35mm f2.8 ZA FE vs the 70-200mm f4 G OSS FE ... I thought the f2.8 would be better or faster in some way. but, not on this quick test at night , indoors. a location I am familiar.

AND, Operationally it does seem Faster vs the a7r. The ZOOM IN is Faster. But, still does NOT Zoom In on the AF point "selected" - in Flexible Spot.

Did NOT come with the Lower (smaller) Eye Piece?

Which by the way seems to Fall OFF easily on Event Shoots.

and the Menu is not Exactly the same as the a7r. (close)

* Wish Sony had Alpha / Numeric menu items that the "FIRST" common Menu items are all the Same Number. So, it is easy to "Refer to" on any ALPHA camera (when trying to tell someone else where in the menu the item is).

Was shooting all day. So, I just took it out for a few shots at night outside. I could handhold 1/30 at 200mm f4 pretty easy. and iso12,800 looked pretty good. (12,800 would be my top end right now, which is the default)

Can you tell I am pretty "EXCITED" about this Combo !

And will be shooting this SUN 7/20 with the a7s + 70-200 f4 G OSS FE combo, a JTB Japan Concert ... at Night ... I can't wait.

-- hide signature --
 Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Sony Alpha 7S Sony FE 70-200 F4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow