Sony RX100M3 ultimate test! Low light indoor dance photos.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342Gear list
Like?
Sony RX100M3 ultimate test! Low light indoor dance photos.
3 months ago

I recently went to my daughters dance competition where non flash photography is allowed, and I was asked to take photos by the other parents. The large stage was lit with only 6 LED cans on each side so it was tough to use a 1/250 shutter with out raising the ISO to about 2000/2500.

I experimented with ISO between 1600 and 3200 and shutters from 1/160 to 1/320 and found ISO 2000 and 1/250 to be the best balance for this venue. But not realizing this completely until review, I took most at ISO 2500. Almost all at f2.8

On a side note, I was able to get 1300 photos one cheap wasabi battery shooting Continuos AF 90% of the time using the LCD not EVF. I found that in wide angles that center AF did better because wide AF would catch the foreground, but in zoomed focal lengths, Wide AF was fast and accurate in Continuos AF. Overall the AF of this camera was stellar. I tried Speed Priority and got a high percentage of blurry photos.

Here is the link, it is unlisted and locked since these are not all my kids and this is on a forum I didn't ask these parents to share on. But you can still click to see the original size and pixel peep by selecting the size on the bottom of the opened image. Also bear in mind some of these were heavily cropped due to my distance from the stage.

http://www.scottzinda.com/Performing-Arts/Dancin-Dayz-1/n-3b2sK/

Below is a photos I took with the Mark 3 on my way home from the comp.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow