Flat view
MarkWW
Contributing MemberPosts: 615
Like?
Merrill vs. Quattro in a word.
3 months ago

Merrill - grit

Quattro - oil painting

I find this photo quite stunning and could imagine this selling in a gallery (it's very commercial is what I'm saying). The grass looks painted. Definitely not a "bayer like" look. The Quattro is still 'solid' like the Merrill - lines are still sharply defined, it's just lacking the grit between the lines, like a solid chunk of oil paint applied with a spatula.

Between that photo & these OOC JPGs and these clouds I look at the photos and just think - oil painting.

With the Merrill you think "wow all that stuff is really there, I couldn't see it with my naked eye, but that's real" - with the Quattro you think "that's not really there, that's been painted."

Look at this tree on the right. I look at it and those bright ridges- those look painted on. The people & umbrellas in the lower right - painted. It still that Foveon sharp edge look - the couple walking, the guy with the basket & the brightly colored shorts, they look photoshopped in because their outline is so sharply defined, which we're not used to from Bayers.

I was skeptical about the Quattro before, but now I think I'm going to buy it, take it to exotic locales & then turn the photos into posters. Very, very commercial posters. A little post processing and people won't know that I didn't paint those scenes.

I'm sort of serious - someone could earn a decent living doing exactly that.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow