Could use some help picking my first decent camera..

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Doug Aiien
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Re: Could use some help picking my first decent camera..
In reply to rino757, 5 months ago

I did a lot of pretty good macro (butterflies and insects) with my Canon SX-40. I also do macro record shots of moths in order to identify them (there are over 13,000 species in the U.S.) and find my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3 is my best camera for macro in low light- lit by a flashlight in one hand and photographed with the DMC-ZR3 hand held, sometimes with flash. I bought my second DMC-ZR3 for $60 used on Ebay. Another way to save money is to buy a factory refurbished camera. Not only do you save money, but refurbished means better quality control- the camera has actually been checked out. I agree that most camera kit lens aren't good for macro which makes it difficult to buy anything fairly new with an macro-appropriate lens for under $350.  If I were starting out. I'd buy one of the bridge cameras that sell for $300-350 and do all things pretty well including macro.

Doug

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carolinabutterflies/

Doug Aiien's gear list:Doug Aiien's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow