Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,073Gear list
Like?
So far not so good
1 week ago

Well the battery was charged and I proceeded to do my testing with both the kit 16-50 f2.8 lens and the 70-300G lens. First impressions are likely to come under attack as I'm sure many will delight in climbing down my thoat convinced I have some setting wrong. And while the possibility exists I did go through the menu very carefully and set it on center focus point only single shot to avoid messing with multiple focus points and worse.

What I'm running into, mostly on distant shots with the 70-300G is while at 50% on screeen 27" calibrated Samsung monitor, they look amazing, as soon as you start increasing the file view size it degrades rather quickly. At 100% it seems most things aren't in focus and even the things that are supposed to be are by NO means sharp. I remember all too well doing the same tests on the exact same subjects with a A6000 and Fuji X-T1. The Fuji was sharp as getout especially in the central focus region, the A6000 much less so (remember this is viewing at 100%). This shocks me.

I already messed with front and back focus adjustments in camera and indeed the lens is dead on correct to begin with needing no adjustment to be accurate. While I haven't thrown the towel in just yet it's not looking real good. I do love the body in general and the controls layout and even the lenses for their build, but thus far they are NOT delivering what I feel they should. I have ALWAYS evaluated ALL the cameras output I've ever owned at 100%, this is not a sin and is most revealing of what to expect from the file in the end. As I say at 50% the files from this camera are superb, and even ISO 3200 is no big deal. But I am not purchasing a camera and lens package to base it on what a file looks like at 50% as good as it may well be. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I'll be keeping it through at least tomorrow until I finalyze my opinions and move on or stay put, but as I say right now this hasn't been the "no brainer" approach to rendering a superb file. Either the SSS is no match for the OIS of the Fuji lenses or there is something else going on. I'll be back in a while after some more tests.

-- hide signature --

Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Adobe Lightroom 5.4

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow