Investing in a camera? Try the stock instead.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,657Gear list
Like?
Investing in a camera? Try the stock instead.
1 month ago

Here on these forums we frequently hear people say they "invested" in a camera system. And we all know that cameras and lenses are depreciating assets, so they aren't a good investment unless they are collector's items.

But... what if you actually DID invest in a company that makes cameras. How would your investment have done over the past year?

I was curious, so I started googling stock prices for camera makers. The price one year ago, and the price today. And here is what I discovered:

What a shocker!

Casio would have been your best investment, returning 74% in just one year.

Panasonic and Olympus are next, the M4/3 companies. No doubt the return had nothing to do with their camera divisions, but due to their other businesses. But I would take the money anyway.

Sigma and Fuji did pretty well too.

Canon, Samsung, and Ricoh all lost a little money, if you had invested in their shares.

But the biggest losers were Sony and Nikon. Sony lost money in several divisions, because they are a well diversified company. In their case, digital imaging doesn't make that much difference to their bottom line. But Nikon is primarily a camera company, with more than two thirds of their revenue coming from digital camera sales. So they got hit the hardest by the current slump in new camera sales.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow