Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,195Gear list
Like?
Keeping my Df, ditching my D3S
4 months ago

Little background, I'm a 64 year old male, with an artificial left shoulder, and an arthritic left knee. I do nothing but volunteer photography, shooting mainly for the American Cancer Society of south New Jersey and Philadelphia. I also shoot for March of Dimes New Jersey, MS Delaware, baby showers at McGuire AFB/Ft Dix in New Jersey, sports photographer for Ambassador Christian Academy in Glassboro New Jersey, plus for the Church that owns the school. I'm not a fancy photographer, most of what you call of my pictures are snap shot quality, but my clients are very happy with my work.

Last Sunday I was one of three photographers for the American Cancer Society Philadelphia Bike-a-thon. My main assignment was covering the finish line, trying to get as many bicycle riders as possible coming in from the bike-a-thon. I was debating whether to use my Df or D3S. I had the D3S ready with the 70-200/2.8 VR2, and the Df with the 70-200/4.0 VR at the finish line. I had three batteries, three 64 GB sd cards, and four 32 GB sd cards. My main concern was running out of battery power.

I also covered the Cherry Hill and Indian Mills stops in New Jersey using the Df and the 24-120/4.0.

I shot about 700 pictures with the 24-120, mix of static shots and people riding their bikes. The 24-120/4.0 at times could not keep up with the bicycle riders. I would estimate I was 80% successful for in focus shots of someone on their bicycles.

Finish line was different. I used the D3S for the first two riders until I could have my Df set up for auto ISO, 6400 ISO max, 1/1000 minimum shutter speed, camera set to aperture preferred, f/4.0, 5.5 FPS, 9 point AFC with central point selected. I shot an additional 6,000 plus shots, only loss 5% due to Df not acquiring focus in time. I lost more shots when a bicyclist crossed in front of the one I intended to shot. Battery life was great, 4,500 shots with 1/3 estimate life on battery one until I swapped batteries. I went through two 64 GB cards and some on the third card. Towards the end of my shot I only shot one or two frames per rider because the focus indication in the viewfinder is better than my D3S. Before that I was shooting four to five frames per rider. I managed to get the 6,700 shots down to 2,182 shots to deliver to the American Cancer Society. I shot in raw, processed first in Bridge, then import into Lightroom.

I choose the Df over the D3S for several reasons. Main reason it is lighter, buffer is about the same but clears faster, and IMHO, better DR. I'm not into a critique that my pictures are over saturated, as that's what I like and my clients love my work. I don't make money on this, it's just an expensive hobby.

I was getting to the point either to go lighter on the camera and lens, or consider micro four-thirds camera. IMHO, the micro four-thirds cannot compare to FF at high ISO. I don't know if micro four-thirds can cover a bicycle rider coming in at 10 to 20 mph. I will be unloading my D3S and one or both D800 (D800 & D800E). If I get rid of both D800s I will get another Df. The Df has a lot of warts, but it rapidly becoming my favorite camera to take on a shoot. I do not need 36 MP. It is nice to keep the D800E for cropping purposes, but not a necessity for my line of shooting.

My 2013 & 2014 bike-a-thon pictures are at http://www.brianric.com/Philly-ACS-Bikeathon-Events. The finish line pictures in 2013 were with the D3S and 70-200/2.8 VR2.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow