Sony Sel 16-70 Back down to £451 on Amazon

Started Jul 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
istreetshooter
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
Re: Sony Sel 16-70 Back down to £451 on Amazon
In reply to WalkaboutSean, Jul 15, 2014

I'm not getting into politics here, but sales tax and the VAT is apples and oranges in the big scheme of things.

We don't have a VAT, but we spend a lot on health care because of our system. I know of several Americans who needed treatment while visiting England. One paid nothing and the other paid something like $50 for an exam, tests, and medicine.

In the end, we all pay. LOL

WalkaboutSean wrote:

dquangt wrote:

Price is because you aren't getting charged VAT since you are not in the country. Same if I ordered here in US. My total came to 406, which was just under $700 USD, but iI didn't order because I already have it.

The VAT is a killer tax that drives up the cost of just about everything.

Many people on these forums complain about American prices being lower than in the UK. A key reason for the massive price differences is the VAT (which thankfully the US does not have). I am an American currently traveling in Europe. I need to buy a replacement 16-50 kit lens for my NEX-6 but there's no way I am buying it here and paying these inflated prices.

If I lived in the UK or the EU. I think I'd start a movement to eliminate the VAT!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow