Manual focusing in extremely dark conditions - any tips?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kurt Petersen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,547Gear list
Like?
Manual focusing in extremely dark conditions - any tips?
2 months ago

Just tonight I was spotted moonlight on cloud/mist in the valley below my house so tried to get a couple of long exposures (60" f/2.8 ISO400) with my E-M1. It was so dark that I couldn't even see a thing through my VF, even with Live View Boost turned on. Nor would it show any image when set to the above exposure with LVB off.  Is there a limit to the Exposure Value that the monitor will give a faithful rendition (or any image at all) or am I missing something in my menu settings that is limiting this?
If there is a EV value that you reach where the VF will no longer continue to give an image, has anyone got any tips for accurate focus in these sort of conditions (excluding shining the Batlight onto the other side of the valley, my neighbours may get peeved). The manual focus scale on my 12-40 doesn't seem accurate enough for truly sharp images.

-- hide signature --

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Kurt Petersen's gear list:Kurt Petersen's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow