Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 3,934Gear list
Like?
Lightroom - Copying photos and edits from computer to computer - I have a mess
1 week ago

I have made a mess and if what I explain below confuses you but you know the right way to do this I am more than happy to start over to get this right.

During my recent trip I edited some of my photos on my MacBook Pro. Now I want to transfer all of my photos and the edits from my MacBook Pro to my PC.

I copied the photos to a holding directory on my PC.

I copied the Lightroom catalog from the MacBook Pro to a holding directory on my PC.

The MacBook Pro catalog has ONLY the photos from this last trip in it.

I imported the MacBook Pro Lightroom catalog into the the PC Lightroom catalog.

I moved the photos to the same relative directory in my PC file structure as they were in my MacBook Pro file structure. I say relative because the root location is different on the two computers.

From here things get messy...

This didn't work so I tried importing the files in place.

Then I re-imported the catalog but none of my edits were there.

Then I noticed a root "\" directory had my photos in. Which were probably the original ones before I did the import in place.

I tried to "find files" but in wouldn't do it because it said I had duplicates.

It is currently showing that I have as many duplicates as I do new photos.

In the root directory version of the photos the photos I flagged as green after I edited them show as green but the image itself is blank.

Then I renamed the folder in my normal Lightroom catalog and tried to "Find missing files" with the root version. The directory in the root disappeared but I don't know where it went.

EDIT: I just noticed there are copies of each photo with different file names and different times stamps. The time stamps makes sense since I was in a different time zone when I took them vs when I copied them but the file name shouldn't be different. I copied from the SD to the MacBook Pro and from there to the PC.

Yikes! What should I do?

If you need clarification to answer, please ask.

Thanks.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow