Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
One_Oldman_4U
Senior MemberPosts: 1,044Gear list
Like?
Inputs nedded!!....Thanks in advance...
2 months ago

I had/have been looking at the EM-1 and the GH-4 for a while, reading the reviews and user experiences here and other sites. I'm 99.9% sure that I will get one system as soon as my tour here in the Middle East ends shortly. My goal is to get either the following:

Oly system

• EM-1 body
  • 12-40/2.8
  • 75-300 Mark II
  • (40-150/2.8 when it becomes available)

Pana system

• GH-4
  • 12-35/2.8
  • 100-300
  • (35-100/2.8 in the future)

I like to stick with one manufacturer if I can (it's just me I guess) but I can mix and match if need be. I'm not much of a prime user but will get one for extreme low light like

• Oly 17/1.8  or
  • Pana 15/1.7

Here are some questions I have:

1. Would I really need either of the 2 primes mentioned above if I'm already getting the 12-40/2.8 Oly or the 12-35/2.5 Pana?
  2. Battery grip - What's your take on this? I know both bodies have a built in grip, but is it really necessary to add these to the bodies? I know both have battery compartment that can extend shooting. I had battery grips on (all the time) in my SLR film cameras (Nikon FM2 and D3) and my D7000 (which I already sold) and it does improve the handling. M4/3, being small as they are, will the grip really improves the handling? Or should I just go with the likes of JB/RSS grips?
  3. Flash - I'm not much into flash shooting but I would like to have a small capable flash on hand (in my bag all the time) for those unusual scenarios. What would you recommend?

I really don't have any style/preference on shooting but I do like to take photos/snapshots of what interest me.

I don't want to get into the "my system is better than your system" debacle. All I want/need is an honest user suggestion/input/recommendation/etc.

I'm not interested in APS-C (reason I got rid of my D7000) or FF as my goal is to go"small and light". Sony is out of the question since the lenses are still big and bulky.

I do appreciate any inputs from everyone.

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
---
RiK
---
"It is not the equipment that makes a photograph but the person behind the equipment and it's not how sharp the images are but how they convey the message."
"I'm a snap-shooter! I shoot anything that interest me. Sometimes, I get lucky and some of my snap-shots turns into a photograph."
---

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow