56mm lens: Amateur Photographer (mag.) says it is soft - any comments please?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil1
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
56mm lens: Amateur Photographer (mag.) says it is soft - any comments please?
2 months ago

Now I've hopefully got your attention, please don’t be offended but I would appreciate your reasoned response to the following.
The background is that I’ve recently ditched my 5Dii system with L lenses in favour of an X-T1 and an X-E2 with (at the moment) 4 Fuji lenses. I am absolutely delighted with my new system, especially the 56mm f1.2. Having said that, I’ve not had it long enough to look at its performance in detail so I was interested to read the recent lens test of the 56mm in the AP (the UK photo mag.) which said (I summarise):
“Sharpness & detail are good even wide open based on quite close focus (waist-up portrait)... but as subject distanced increased sharpness and detail decrease until with full-length portraits the images looked decidedly soft” The author suggest it may have been “due to fringing and in-camera de-fringing or slightly missed focus at wide apertures”.
I am looking into the performance of my own 56mm but it would be very interesting to hear the views of those with much more experience of this lens and its performance. Do you find the sharpness and detail fall off with distance? Do you have any other comments on its performance e.g. bokeh?
Any photos illustrating your findings would be very useful!
Many thanks
Phil

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow