Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,235
Like?
Purple Smearing w/K-5IIs
1 week ago

I've noticed distinct purple smearing in some shots taken with bright light either in or just off of the frame. Please look at the following.

These were taken with the DA 16-45, which I've owned for 10 years, and the DA 10-17, which I've had for 8 years. Neither lens has done this before. I've previously used the *ist D, K10D, K20D, K-5, and K-5II, and did not get this kind of purple smearing with those bodies.

For comparison, here is a photo taken with the K-5II in similar contrasty light. There's no purple smearing.

So, the lenses have performed fine on previous bodies. All previous bodies have performed fine. I have to conclude, therefore, that one of the following is causing the problem.

1. I have a defective K-5IIs.

2. Removing the AA filter increases the susceptibility of the sensor to this kind of smearing.

Since the camera seems fine otherwise, I am inclined to think that removing the AA filter makes the sensor susceptible to purple smearing in the right light situations. This is a problem for me, since these are light situations in which I often shoot. I may have to either get rid of the K-5IIs, or use it only for landscape work. If I am right, I may not be able to buy any future Pentax cameras, since Pentax seems to have permanently removed the AA filter.

I would appreciate any throughts.

Can anything be done to get rid of the purple smearing?

Thanks,

Joe

Pentax *ist D Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow