Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,173Gear list
Like?
JJC TM-F2 Remote Shutter Intervalometer for Sony
5 months ago

This is a new item from JJC and replaces the Sony Multi Connector remote which has been around for a few years and includes the older Sony port style. This version is identical but has the USB style connection for Sony A7/A7R/A7S and A6000 multi-port interface. The description says it is for the Sony A7S A58 A7 A7R A6000 A5000 A3000 HX300 HX50V RX100II RX100III NEX-3NL but I can only comment on my use with the A7R.

The unit is small and comes with two Energizer AAA batteries. The center button has a half shutter press feature and is easy to operate. You can feel the tension of half shutter vs. a full press for taking the shot. It also has a slider to hold the shutter open for bulb operations. Instructions are provided in English and a few other languages and appear adequate (8 pages). There is a combination light/lock button that illuminates the LCD panel or locks the other keys to prevent accidental changes to intervalometer features. It also has an audible confirmation setting that can be turned on/off. There is no memory feature provided. I tried a couple of intervalometer features on the device and it successfully fired the shots with the optional delay feature enabled. I think the advantage to this device is that it's a compact, dedicated unit you can use without concerns for IR interference or smartphone cabled devices with limited smartphone or tablet battery life.

I noticed a poster that had an issue with the Remote Control feature of their A7 camera where they could not stop the camera from auto focusing using an IR remote. The expected operation was for AF not to engage when turning off "AF/w shutter" when using an IR device. I verified this to be a problem on the A7R as well. The JJC solves that problem and operates as it should when turning off AF/w shutter if that is the user's preference.

In anticipation of the arrival of this JJC remote shutter release/intervalometer, I purchased an extension USB micro cable-female to male but could not get it to work connected to the JJC and then to the camera. I suspect this is a pin configuration issue. The odd thing is that I was able the same extension cable for charging and data transfer from the camera to my android smartphone with an OTG adapter. So beware if you are looking for a longer cord since there doesn't seem to be a way to extend the JJC cable which is permanently attached to the remote. The cord on the JJC remote is approximately 1 meter long and adequate. I was just looking for an easy solution to add cord length.

Overall, this is a very good unit, compact and the first one that doesn't require a workaround on the A7 series cameras such as those that have spliced the cords for Canikon intervalometers or bought adapters to get them to work on the A7 series/A6000 cameras.

I purchased mine from AliExpress at the following link for $35.99 shipped at the following link http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6144655982.html

It shipped from China and arrived in ten days.

I've noticed that it is now carried on Amazon US here:

http://www.amazon.com/JJC-Multi-Function-NEX-3NL-RX100II-RX100III/dp/B00LITLF60

Either way it looks like it is going to ship from China at the present time. I think the price is fair considering it was just released.

JJC TM-F2

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
PVCdroid's score
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow