Just curiosity! How many professionals on this forum have switched to m4:3..

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,667
Like?
Re: Have never seen anyone
In reply to Kirk Tuck, 3 months ago

Kirk Tuck wrote:

Well, you know....I did ask about mirror less cameras not necessarily smaller sensor cameras. I guess everyone missed the Sony A7 in the original post. All three of the A7 cameras, while mirror less, are full frame sensors and according to the zany folks over at DXO two of them roundly beat the pants off most (all) of the Canons and many of the Nikon cameras when it comes to image quality...

The question really was.....mirrorless or not.

Sorry, should have written DSLR FFs, almost always Nikon or Canon. I haven't seen any shots from any mirrorless FF submitted to any of the magazines I work with either. But I don't think sports and photojournalism is the target for Sony A7. So, no, I don't see any trend in switching to mirrorless among sports/reportage photographers.

Besides the magazines I produce for clients, I was also editor of a photo magazine a a side project.

Here is a sample of the kind of shooting where I think FF DSLRs are the best tools. Its from a test of the fastest 24,35,85 lenses from Nikon and Canon. The rendering of these lenses and the subject isolation gives a special feel to reportage shots that I like very much.

And of course for this kind of shooting where there is about the raw power of AF-C and low light performance, the pro DSLRs are the best tools. From our test of the Canon 1D4.

But then again, when we tested the Panasonic G2H we predicted it would be the tool of choice for the multijournalist, so I definitely see the options for mirrorless there. The photography business is though and maybe branching out to a video/photo combination is the way to go forward for many.

And finally, I use to read your blog, not because I always agree with your views, but because I like your style of writing. I am about your age and have experienced the whole technical journey from Tri-X to to todays digital. I was a professional photojournalist, but also wanted to write, which eventually lead to to editing/design/layout, although I occasionally do some professional photography on the side, like for the Swedish Runners World magazine. Good luck with your book project.

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. Also the author of a photo novel called, The Lisbon Portfolio www.kirktuck.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FujiNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow