Li-Ion batteries - fully discharge or not?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,150Gear list
Like?
From the Horse's Mouth
In reply to TrapperJohn, 3 months ago

TrapperJohn wrote:

I developed the computer control system for a Li-Ion assembly line, so I got some very in depth

That is good information to have.

I have learnt to avoid general purpose USB 5 Volt 'chargers' (car battery or mains fed). They are 5 Volt SUPPLIES! I realised that when my Olympus SZ-30MR commands such a 'charger' to turn off, it does not. The camera then reported overheating when trying to turn it on, and shut down again. On two occasions the crow-bar circuit tripped in the battery itself, so the camera would not turn on (removing and re-inserting the battery cleared the problem).

I do own a third party charger together with third party batteries, and I have done run-down tests with them (taking HD720p videos). The third party batteries have a higher capacity printed on the label, and lasted almost, but not quite, as long as the Olympus brand battery. However, I also had an Olympus brand battery that did not charge to full capacity from new, and it died pre-maturely.

Your article suggests I repeat my run-down tests on all the batteries I have, since I expect them to record our (Morris dance) performances to completion.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow