Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wesley Byrne
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Questions about Tokina 12-28 from a new owner
5 months ago

UPS delivered my copy of the Tokina 12-28 on Friday afternoon, just before I left for vacation. I have been travelling, but managed to take a few shots along the way. The image quality with the lens seems good, but I have noticed two things that I am curious about.

The first issue is the gap between the front element and the barrel: the front element moves forward and back within the barrel, and the gap between the front element and the barrel is relatively wide at about 18 mm. I am not one to fret about dust and I rarely use a filter on my lenses, but I may use one more often with this lens. Have any owners of the 12-28 or similar Tokina lenses had problems with dust entering the front of the lens?

The second issue is that the zoom ring is stiff, and the lens often makes a popping/clicking sound when zooming past 18 mm toward the longer focal lengths. I can feel a slight mechanical shock when the popping sound occurs. I assume the cause of the sound and shock is a spring shifting in its catch. The lens seems to perform well, and the noise doesn't bother me as long as performance isn't affected. If I decide to sell the lens in the future the noise could hurt the value of the lens though. Has anyone else noticed a popping sound during zooming on the 12-28 or similar Tokina lenses?

Wesley Byrne's gear list:Wesley Byrne's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow