Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Albert Silver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,491Gear list
Like?
5D3 / 6D: big AF or focus-recompose
5 months ago

I own a Canon T4i, and am moving to FF soon, with the 6D or 5D3 as the choices. I have read X reviews, watched Z others, and have a very good grasp on what they offer, at least in their basics. Ultimately, I am looking as a starter at either:

- 5D3 plus one zoom (probably Canon 24-105 - could be Tammy 24-70 VC)

- 6D plus two zooms (same as above plus Tamron 70-200 VC)

I completely accept the standing wisdom of better glass than some body perk, but the body purchase will be a long-term one, and I really want to avoid buyer's remorse. I live abroad, and would be purchasing a Canon refurb, and lenses undoubtedly ebayed.

My big big doubt is the AF.

I shoot a variety of things with the T4i, mostly events with varying light conditions, people in the moment, etc. I shoot landscape too, but am mentioning only things where AF is actually a factor. For the last month, while setting aside the cash for the purchase (and selling my crop-sensor equipment minus the Canon flash), I have made efforts to do a lot of focus-recompose shooting, something I realize I have never really done much of, instead using AF or selecting the AF point of choice, of which the Rebel has 9 cross-types.

My conclusion is that I can definitely learn to change my focusing habit, but I fear losing shot opportunities, or running into situations where it will be a poor choice. In a recent event, a group was watching a private close-up show of dancers. While working various angles and shots, one involved placing myself in the middle to show the spectators on the left, the dancers on the right, and nothing to focus on in my middle. For a focus-recompose, I need to either focus on the audience, or the dancers, and then swing the camera back to center to make sure everyone is in the frame. Would this be a problem?

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow