Why I DON'T care about aperture, and you shouldn't either!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,164Gear list
Like?
Why I DON'T care about aperture, and you shouldn't either!
5 months ago
  • There is no even clear definition of aperture. Some mean f-number when they say aperture, some mean the physical diaphragm; some mean the diameter of the latter.
  • The camera will choose the "right aperture" anyway.
  • There are actual apertures (f-numbers???) and then there are equivalent ones. It is a mess.
  • I know what DOF I will get by experience. My smartphone always gets it right. My dSLR would get it right in the green square mode, too, most of the time.
  • I tried changing the aperture on my dSLR, and guess what - the image does not change brightness! So aperture does not affect exposure! No need to worry about aperture then!
  • Messing up with aperture is a recipe for disaster. Try Av mode with f/32 if you do not believe me. A lot of motion blur.
  • I cannot even control the aperture on my phone. This is the way all cameras should be.

I use and have used variety of formats and cameras, from 60mmx60mm, 35mm film, FF, APS-C, cellphone digital.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow