A77ii first impression @ Rodeo (with pic)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SourGummy
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
A77ii first impression @ Rodeo (with pic)
4 months ago

Some of you might've recalled that I was having issue with my A77 which Sony service wasn't able to reproduce and was never fixed. A couple days ago during the middle of this rodeo show it finally died. The "camera error" became permanent and removing the battery does not fix it. Luckily Rob from Sony let me use the A77ii that he was using at the event while he switched to his own A7.

During the first 30 mins of the show I was using my own A77 with my recently bought Sigma 70-200mm F2.8. I used back-button-focus with middle zone AF. The focus speed was wonky at times, and hunted for focus during some shots. At first I thought this was an issue with my lens, and was considering returning it after the show. Then my camera died... To keep things short, now i'm using A77ii with the same lens that I was using.

After about 10 mins of fiddling with the new menu and get the settings that I wanted, I'm back at shooting the show. First thing that I noticed was the AF was A LOT smoother, quicker, and more accurate than A77 (granted my A77 might've had issue to start with). In the next 2 hours or so, the camera never once hunted for focus (that rule out issue with my lens), and the AF was extremely quick that I could go back and forth from 70-200mm without worrying the focus speed. I shot in both single shot as well as high burst (tried a few diff SS from 1/2000 to 1/4000), they all produce really sharp photo. Also never had problem with the buffer while shooting burst at RAW.

Overall the A77ii does feel like a big step up from A77. At least for outdoor shots. Would be nice if I can try some indoor events with it and check out the ISO quality. But i'm already leaning towards getting A77ii within the next few months, seems like a logical upgrade.

Here are some shots from the day.

Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow