Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,588Gear list
Like?
A7R with Canon 600mm plus extenders
3 months ago

The 600mm Canon lens is about as good as it gets for telephoto shots. I use the Metabones III smart adapter. I usually attach the 1.4 II extender and occasionally the 2X III extender. Well, the A7R can deliver crisp photos if you nail the focus. Not all the time, but with magnified view and some persistence you can get sharp photos. I can see why the pros use the 600 at surfing contests. Superb for subjects up to 200 metres away. Further than that and you start having distortions from the atmosphere on warm days. It is always tricky shooting over water. Some days you get sharp photos but on other days you don't. Focus peaking really helps with moving subjects but you have to check with the magnified view to be sure you are focused properly. I suspend my heavy camera bag against the tripod with the strap over the top of the lens. Seems to keep things quite steady. 2 second delay when I don't have my remote functioning. The one thing I would like to be able to do on the A7R is shoot in magnified view like you can with Canon. That way I could see when the subject is motionless and click the shutter via the remote control.

The photo of the surfer and the sandstone cliff are @ 840mm. The cliff is 2000 metres away.

The panorama of Barrenjoey Lighthouse is @ 1200mm. The Lighthouse was about 1900 metres away. This is the first time I have been able to clearly read the sign on the right of the photo. You can see people on the left.

Very impressive combination Canon-Sony-Metabones.

All photos are at the original size but the surfing photo is cropped.

I must visit the blue chair via an abseil soon. I like shooting impressive sandstone.

Fishermen along the coast in Australia find all sorts of ways to access good fishing spots.

Some of us photographers are just as crazy because we will follow them just to get a good shot.

I will be selling my 500L lens.

Middle Harbour, Mosman. Find the blue chair and abseiling rope. 840mm and 2000 metres

Surfer at North Narrabeen Beach, in Sydney. 840mm

Barrenjoey Lighthouse 1200mm and 1900 metres away 3 photo panorama

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow