Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joe Tam
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?
GH4 really makes me want to ditch Nikons
1 month ago

I never thought the day would come where I ditch my Nikons for assignment work but the GH4 changed that.  I had to shoot spectators watching the World Cup today and the GH4 delivered the goods in a fast moving situation where my focus was on different people as well as the celebratory photo spray.  I was using the Olympus 12-40 and I imagine the AF speed would be even faster with the Panny 12-35.

I was a little nervous as I normally have a 17-35mm/70-200/2.8 on Nikon D4s out of habit but decided to just use GH4 w/ 12-40/2.8, a Nikon 35mm/f2 with metabones speedbooster, and a 100-300/f4-5.6 in a belt pack( I didn't use it)

The images look spectacular out of the camera and I was able to transmit images sent from my GH4 to iphone during half time and at the end of regulation time.  I was also able to get closer to people without a huge camera and lens and the photos were much natural because the GH4 blends into your face.

I also shot 4k video that was required of some of the celebration without the fear of "missing" a great still moment because the still frame grabs look great(with appropriate fast shutter speed) and the ability to create a jpeg a frame from the 4k to transmit is a testament to the Panasonic engineers who seem to understand and deliver what PHOTOGRAPHERS NEED!  NO $559 WT-2 wi-fi transmitter required like on D4 to transmit.

The GH4 wifi also works way more reliability than on the GX-7 when I got it.  I would have to reboot my ipad and pull out the battery on the camera on subsequent wifi connections to my GX-7.  The latest firmware GX-7 update

I was shooting raw and jpeg and the images look spectacular in great light and even better on the ipad retina screen.  I am looking at them now on my NEC PA271 and the images really pop with the least amount of work on Capture One Pro 7.2.3.  Images are also tack sharp -- a problem I had many issues with a succession of Nikon cameras that backfocused(d1-D4).

I know full-frame DSLRs have no competition at hi iso's in inclement situations but this "disadvantage" has improved my (continuous) lighting skills.  I now carry a lot of flourescents for video interviews/portraits or use profoto if I am doing a portrait.

I am now finding it hard to use the Nikons because of the lack of histogram or preview of the image. Or shooting from the hip(easierwith GX7 flip out screen)  I love seeing the image while raising the camera above my head for a crowdshot like I did today.  No guessing for framing.  And having a discrete camera in some of the neighborhoods I have assignments helps tremendously.

I now use the Nikons very rarely.

Anyone else feel the same?

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +16 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lolNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow