Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
E-M1 – CAF – Very good performance – Running Fawn
3 months ago

Today while walking with my wife and our four young cats, I saw a young fawn coming directly at me. Fortunately I had the camera set as described below (with a slower shutter speed) and so I simply pointed the camera at the fawn as I pre-focused and quickly changed the shutter speed and pressed the shutter release. I now leave RLS Priority C=On, since I discovered that the camera could go from poor focus to lock in 1/6 second for a fast flying hummingbird (link below) and can see no advantage to waiting for focus confirmation.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3698916

E-M1+EC14+50-200 SWD

Camera settings – Rls Priority C = On, FPS = L – 6fps, Frame Rate = High, Shutter Speed 1/1000, Exposure Compensation = 1.3, CAF, C-AF Lock = Off, AF area = Single Center Small Point

The shutter speed should have been higher than 1/1000 for a fawn running (over 30 miles per hour) directly at me from a very close distance, so there is some motion blur in the first two images. The third where the deer is running parallel to me with panning is okay. The first image is not quite in focus, the second (1/6 second later) is in focus (rear leg – where center point located – front of the deer out of depth of field) and finally the third image is in focus. The larger single point would probably have been better, but since I was photographing my cats prior to the deer appearing, it was set for small point.

I believe that the E-M1 with the 50-200 SWD is capable of excellent CAF tracking (better than my E5) and any limitation is primarily my own limitation as a photographer. I still need to learn to lead the target more than I would have needed to do with my OVF, but old habits are hard to break. I should say that the fawn was not running from anything, but simply running for fun. The fawn’s mother has been around for three years and has no fear of me or my wife, so the fawns don’t fear us either.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow