ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,232Gear list
Like?
A7S owner no longer a pixel peeper !!!
4 months ago

A strange and unexpected outcome from my recent switch to using the A7S:

Both my former A77 and NEX-7 bodies have 24 MP APS-C sensors and a number of fine Zeiss and other lenses. I have always approached my review of my photos by looking at pixel level scrutiny to see how things look in the center, the corners, the edges, and for evidence of decentering, spending time critically judging how the sensor and lens combination handled the finest detail.

Perhaps due to now working with half the pixel count in a full frame sensor, I no longer seem to spend any time at this pixel peeping, instead concentrating on the really important elements of composition, light, shadow, and visual and emotional impact.

I seem to be much more able to truly focus on what matters, and know that my single full frame E-mount lens, a 24-70 Zeiss FE, has more than enough resolution for the 12 MP sensor. I actually think of this unintended consequence of moving from 24MP to 12MP as being a liberating and more mature attitude I had not previously experienced in my seemingly endless pursuit of sharper glass and higher MP sensors. Those like me who owned NEX from day one and anxiously awaited adequate lenses to really match the bodys, particularly the NEX-7 body, may relate to my story.

I am wondering if anybody else has found the migration to a significantly lower resolution has provided this type of unexpected change in approach / attitude?

Larry

Sony Alpha 7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow