• Dubai Markets, Dunes, City
  • Cape Town
  • Coastal Drive and Wineries
  • Cape of Good Hope
  • Shark Diving
  • Train Rides
  • Markets
  • Hiking
  • Safari Excursions (3 times daily for one week)

I have lived in South Africa for a few months in 2011 and 2012. I visited most of what you note above while staying near Cape Town in Stellenbosch. I took a point and shoot the first time and it worked just swell because I wasn't yet into photography. In later 2011 I bought a 5N and got more serious about photography. By my 2012 visit, I had purchased the Zeiss 24. I did not do the safari stuff in 2012, but I did many of the other items on your list and I never felt the need to use another lens beyond the 24. That's me, though. If I had the 55-210, I would have used it and it would have been fine in the Addo Elephant park for the safari stuff (just not the night safaris). But I also realized that the photos I enjoyed the least were the safari photos since any shot I captured seemed to be better on cheap postcards in the gift shop, but again that's just me.

With your line up, I'd probably take the NEX 6 and 16-50 and 55-210 along with the RX100 for going really small. I'd use the 55-210 for the day safari stuff and probably never pull it out again (though, I wouldn't personally take it at all because the animals I shot with the point and shoot all got pretty close anyway - see below).

EDIT: And now I see I am 2 weeks too late. Ah well.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow