The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
pgb
pgb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
Re: dictatorial nonsense
In reply to T3, 4 months ago

T3 wrote:

MaxTux wrote:

Yes, photographs have been manipulated (or, to use current term, "post-processed" in the age of wet photography too. But two facts about that "post-processing" should not be ignored:

- the practice was mostly restricted to monochrome printing.

I don't see what difference that makes.

- the amount of effort required served as a natural limit for the degree of change.

I don't see what difference that makes either.

The ease with which the processing is performed on digital files is such that the process is more and more "overdone" for the aesthetic sensibility of some (obviously, the OP is among those).

The art of photography spans a huge gamut, from non-processed to heavily processed to full-on digital manipulation. It's partly because technology has allowed the art of photography to expand far beyond its past technical limitations, and partly because technology has made photography so much more accessible to a more diverse group of participants. It's also expanded the definition of photography to include a more diverse range of images and image-making techniques. Because the branches of photography have now branched out far beyond what many consider to be "traditional", many people think some of these branches of photography as being "overdone." Well, I guess that depends on how narrow your idea of photography is. There was a time when the early impressionist painters weren't considered real painters because their images deviated too far from the expected norms of painting (i.e., realistic depictions of nature, objects, etc.). I guess we're going through that same thing today with digital photos.

My friend is landscape painter, he told me he compresses time, including what events happen
over the days he paints a scene and omits what he doesn't want. Would a portrait painter include
a pimple on his clients nose.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow