S. Africa Safari Camera Decisions - Sony NEX-6/RX10/RX100

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
vndrsmth
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: S. Africa Safari Camera Decisions - Sony NEX-6/RX10/RX100
In reply to vndrsmth, 2 months ago

Just walked in the door and caught the last half of the WC Final

14 days and about 5000 photos, 2 hours of video later - 3x full 32GB cards and 2x 1/2 full

I've got about 300 I've tagged as keepers but we'll need a few days to go through them.

RX10 - I used this exclusively and was shocked and the quality we got. This is THE setup to have for no frills, great shots. The only reason my shots are numbering in the thousands is from continuous shooting trying to catch fast moving animals. Video capture is phenomenal and it got a lot of use. I filled up 3x 32GB cards.

HX400 - My wife used this exclusively and occasionally I'd grab it from here for some close ups that the RX10 couldn't grab even with the digital zoom on. The photos this camera snapped at distance was really surprising. She was able to get birds close up at over 200 yards in a single frame. Elephant eyes within 100 yards. Monkeys with great fur detail at around 500 yards. It was really, really surprising. The long distance video on this is really good quality.

RX100 - This was used as planned just around the city and is still the best pocket camera available. The shots this thing takes are great and it was really easy to hand off to locals or other tourists. Get yourself a "selfie stick" on amazon for about $7 and you can snap a lot of those quick photos yourself

Power - I used a universal Euro/Africa AC adapter and simply brought my own standard $10 surge protector with 8 outlets.

Laptop - I didn't want to bring my Macbook Air so I picked up a $200 Asus C720P Chromebook that worked fantastically.

Cell - I brought an old android backup phone and bought a Cell-C sim card - 600mb of data for $25.

I'll comment more with stats and examples after I am able to transfer them all to my server and start filtering through them a bit more over the next few days.

vndrsmth's gear list:vndrsmth's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow