Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Smoking Camera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,488Gear list
Like?
20fps with Nikon V3 and 70-300CX
5 months ago

First of all warning - lots of photos so please don't reply with quote otherwise you will re-copy all the images.

With that out of the way, this morning I decided to test continuous focusing of BIF at 20fps at the local marsh. On the way I saw a fun run at the beach so stopped and took a few shots of the runners.

I don't recommend shooting 20fps unless you really want to capture an entire sequence or it's important to get that one perfect shot during a sequence. Otherwise too many photos to review. However, it is really quite amazing to shoot at this speed. What is more amazing is the V3 can acquire focus even if the first few shots are out of focus. When I reviewed the sequence of the girl running, I noticed I completely missed focus at the beginning. Focus was on a small wave in the background. However after about three shots the wave disappeared and the camera on its own acquired focus on the runner and maintained focus throughout the sequence.

Anyway, here are four examples (male runner, female runner, heron and egret) to give you an idea of what to expect with the V3 and 70-300CX at 20fps. Hopefully not too boring.

-- hide signature --
Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow