high speed memory cards in D7100 - point of diminishing returns?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richiebee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069Gear list
Like?
high speed memory cards in D7100 - point of diminishing returns?
1 month ago

Looking to update my old memory cards (200X Lexars) with something of decent speed to cut down the waiting of transfer from camera to memory card (write speed, not read).

I see a multitude of choices in my two favorite brands (Sandisk and Lexar).  Sandisk clearly has the edge with their Extreme Pro cards writing at a max of 90Mb/s, to Lexar's puny 45Mb/s in their 600X series.  Going up in price a bit, Sandisk has an extreme pro UHS-II which has a max write speed of 250Mb/s. Just wondering if there's any point in this super fast card with the D7100, or whether limits with internal bussing would prevent any advantage over the 90Mb/s cards, and also whether there are any known compatibility issues with these cards?

I currently seem to wait forever for the cards to finish writing in burst mode, and even the Lexar 600X would give me a speed bump, the Sandisk 90Mb/s cards still more...  just trying to figure out where the point of spending more becomes pointless.

R.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow