Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dave Guy
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Knock-off, remote ettl, and external battery pack recommendations
5 months ago

I'm currently using a Canon 5d mark II and and 580EX-II flash.  I also have an extra-long ETTL cord from ocfgear.com (works great, btw).

Here is what I would like to achieve:

1. Wireless ettl.  Using the ettl cord is fine, but it'd be better if I didn't have the hassle or the tripping risk.

2. Occasionally use more than one flash.

3. Faster flash recycling.

I was thinking of getting a third-party flash, since they are *substantially* cheaper than Canon flashes. Do you guys have specific recommendations for flashes that can do ettl?

I'd also like to get a battery pack for my existing flash and for the new flash.  It looks like Goja makes one that gets good reviews, but I want to make sure whatever I buy is compatible with my new flash.

Finally, if I buy a knock-off flash, will my 580EX-II be able to remotely trigger it?

In other words, I want to buy a third-party flash and two battery packs so that my existing flash can communicate with the new flash (and can do ettl remotely), and both can use the battery packs.

Thanks for any advice!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow