Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
edform
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020Gear list
Like?
Mini Challenge #343 - Look Through Any Window - Results
5 months ago

I'm sorry to have delayed so long over these results but I was genuinely overwhelmed with the quality of the stuff submitted. Floundering as I was, I used the rules to slim down the choice - every picture without an actual framing element in the composition was rejected out of hand - this removed about half of the submissions, including some wonderful photographs, but it still left a whole raft of equally good ones.

At this stage I got my wife involved and we judged in silence as a slide show of the entries played on a large screen television. Comparing notes at the end showed that we agreed on the winner and had also chosen the same two images as our runners-up, but in reversed order to each other. You are therefore getting my order as the final say.

We then viewed the other entries again and again to choose some special mentions and I'll begin with them...

This image from PatrickD50 is a technically hopeless photograph, but what a wonderful moment and how clever of Patrick to spot the possibilities; a clear illustration of the old adage: 'Now!'

Rabbit in the sights

kmccormi's view of a covered lane in San Remo was wonderful...

Life is just around the corner...

Algor's double window stopped me in my tracks when I saw it. Look how one ancient window shows a modern street scene while the other looks out on a timeless garden...

A split in time

Yet again I was delighted with the super-high standard of Harvey Rawn's images - only room for one so it has to be this...

A view from the Museum

Bill Borne's exhibition shot of a leaded window with a great big hunk of Detroit iron visible through it was typical of his whimsical approach to - well everything, I think!

What century is this?

ncsakany - Nick's reflections in the glass wall at the airport was a very fine shot...

Modern life.

I could go on and on, but just three more. Silvrmn's clever capture impressed...

No chance!

...and Ric's bleak view down the cloister had real menace...

Harry Lime? But he's wearing shorts!

But Luzy Seide's black and white studio shot was genuinely disturbing. Luzy's new here, this was actually her first post, so welcome and wow!

I'm an old guy now, and genuinely do not understand modern women!

Now to the top three.

Third, but by a split vote, and a wonderful photograph by any standards, was David's [DWMurf] 'Dunkin Donouts on a rainy day'...

I need sugar but that rain is awful.

Second, and this was the other half of the split vote, was nandbytes' lovely picture of one of his twin cousins peeping through the fence...

You will come back, won't you?

A fanfare is called for at this point because I think the winner is one of the best shots we've seen in cyber-shot talk since I got here. It's Salla30's wistful holiday snap..

When we booked this holiday you said the sun would be shining every day.

This shot has every aspect of the brief covered to perfection and, because it was taken with an RX1, it's also technically amazing - I want one of those things - not sure I want the Leaning Tower of Pisa in wind and rain, however...

So over to you Salla 30 and thank you for showing us this great photograph.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow