Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
prestatynpete
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
Mini-Challenge #410 "To the woods" -----Winners
2 months ago

First of all thank you for your enthusiasm, with over 50 entries from 21 photographers. Thank you also for the variety of subjects, with everything from the General Sherman Giant Sequoia through to a single maple leaf.

With such a big entry there are quite a few Honourable Mentions, starting with Nectar D'Or

Putting the camera well off the horizontal has produced an interesting image, and the contrast between the greens and the browns is good.

"Looking back at my ski trail " by 2esetters would make a good Christmas card.

I like the way the light catches the tree roots in "At the ford" by ThorkildC, this gives atmosphere to the photo.

Some interesting light in this next one---

"Morning stroll in the woods" by adventurer69 from Trinidad and Tobago gives us a good idea of what it is like to be in a rain forest. The back-lighting makes it particularly interesting.

Now we come to WStevePs image of the Canadian Rockies near Banff, which is good enough to go in a calendar , or would sell as a post card.

In complete contrast to the huge vistas of the Rockies,rjgjr takes us to a "Secret Garden"

To put it simply, this is a thing of beauty.

RAYoung takes us back to the great outdoors with a view of the Grand Tetons----

-- hide signature --

which would also sell as a calendar photo or as a post card, or as a large wall poster.

Again, in complete contrast, Wibaw takes us deep into the woods where, if we are very quiet, we can see----

---wild deer on the island of Islay , Inner Hebrides, off the West Coast of Scotland.

Lewynn shows how back-lighting brings an image to life:-

the sunlight through the trees makes this image work.

This image shows how soft lighting can also work, this is "Calm Woods" by guiness2. The contrast between the softness of the grasses and the hardness of the trees is brought out well.The composition works well, with the tree stump in just the right place.

And the last but by no means the least of the "H Ms" is this one---

--"Cabin in the woods"by Karl Mohr which works well compositionally with the shadow of a large tree falling across the foreground.The side lighting works well.

So now we come to the 3rd place image:-

3rd place goes to brightcolours with this intriguing image. Exposing for the lightest part of the image has created a air of mystery,enhanced by the anonymity of the figure in the background.We feel perhaps that we don't really want to be in these woods.Congratulations brightcolours, you also had two other intriguing images in the competition but I felt this one worked best.

Then we come to the Runner Up

This is by WSteveP  and is entitled "Cathedral Grove, McMillan Provincial Park, Vancouver Island BC".

This is an atmospheric image which works well with a combination of interesting subject matter, good composition, and above all, good lighting. You feel as though you want to be in this forest, exploring its secret places. Everywhere you look in this image there is something to study, but the angles of the fallen trees hold the composition together. Above all it is the lighting that makes this a worthy 2nd place, so well done WSteveP.

And so we come to the winner. I said when I set the subject for this Mini-Challenge that I was hoping to see some pictorial, and hopefully , creative images.

Congratulations go to Peter63 for this image, which is the Winner.

This is described by the author as "Long exposure with combination of ambient and distant commercial flood lighting, with some wind".

Well, the description certainly gives us a clue as to how it was done, but I find that the image speaks for itself, and does so very strongly.

This is not my favourite image. The one I want on my wall is the "Grand Tetons"by rjgfr, but I have picked what I think are the best  images as the winners, and this is the strongest one. It has an ethereal, almost haunting, quality to it. These trees are leaning over ,so they have survived many storms from the prevailing wind. They live in a hostile environment, which the photographer has made look even more strange than it is in real life.

So well done and many congratulations to Peter63. It falls to you , Peter63 to set the next Mini-Challenge, and we look forward to seeing what you choose as a subject.

I have enjoyed seeing ALL the images, there really were no duds, and it has been very interesting to go through them all and sort out the winners, something I have done many times as a judge of photographic competitions in camera clubs across beautiful North Wales and North West England.

prestatynpete's gear list:prestatynpete's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow